Oscar Tschirky created the Waldorf Salad sometime between 1893 and 1896 at the Waldorf Hotel, the precursor of the now Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, in Midtown East. This vegan version from NYC Vegan by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment makes a perfect appetizer, side dish, or light meal.
- ½ cup nondairy mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium Gala, Fuji, or other red sweet apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Stir in the apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes. Chill until ready to serve.
From NYC Vegan, copyright © 2017 by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment. Used by permission. Photo by Jackie Sobon.