The satisfying combo of my favorite root vegetables, combined with a lively lentil trio, makes a hearty and filling Root Veggie and Lentil Trio Stew. Serve it with warm, crusty bread for a delicious and satisfying one-bowl meal.
- 1½ cups lentil trio blend, picked over, rinsed well (see note)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (26 to 28 ounces) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with juice (see note)
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 large vegan bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (see note)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put all of the ingredients into a large soup pot and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer
- over medium heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the root vegetables and the lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon into deep bowls and serve with a green salad on the side.
If you cannot find a pre-packaged lentil trio blend, you may use any combination of black beluga, red and/or green lentils. Alternately, you may combine and use two or three of your favorite lentil varieties in this recipe.
If you cannot find fire-roasted tomatoes, you may substitute regular canned diced tomatoes.
For a spicier stew, use 1 teaspoon garam masala.
Recipe by Laura Theodore, from Jazzy Vegetarian's Deliciously Vegan. Published by Scribe Publishing, ©2018, reprinted by permission.