The two most important aspects of a great waffle are crisp exterior and moist and fluffy interior. These vegan waffles deliver big. To make great make-ahead waffles, undercook them by about 1 minute and freeze. When you’re ready for them, just toast and enjoy. Serve with vegan butter, maple syrup, or preserves.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup aquafaba (see Note)
- ¼ cup canola or other neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk or sift to distribute the ingredients equally.
- Combine the milk, aquafaba, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and mix well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk gently into a smooth batter. Set the batter aside to hydrate while the waffle iron heats up.
- Heat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and add the required amount of batter to the hot iron (usually about 1 cup of batter). Cook until the desired doneness is reached and transfer the waffles to a wire rack. The waffles will become crisp in about 30 seconds. Serve hot.
From Aquafaba, copyright © 2016 by Zsu Dever. Used by permission.