Shallots and vegan bacon are caramelized with a bit of brown sugar to add just a touch of sweetness to the earthiness of the Brussels sprouts in this recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Vegan Bacon and Shallots from Baconish. I prefer my Brussels on the crisp-crunchy side, but feel free to cook them longer if you like them more well done.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 large shallots, sliced paper thin
- 5 to 6 slices of your favorite vegan bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed, halved (quartered if large)
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and bacon and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until the shallots are translucent. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and continue cooking until the shallots are browned and caramelized. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan in a single layer, cut-side down. Leave undisturbed 2 to 3 minutes before stirring, to help them brown and caramelize. Continue to cook and stir occasionally until the Brussels sprouts turn bright green. Add the white wine to the Brussels sprouts, cover immediately, and steam for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the shallot-bacon mixture and serve hot.