I love, love, love garbanzo beans (chickpeas). I like to add them to so many dishes – from my daily salad, to satisfying soups, to sandwich spreads, to pasta recipes, and so much more! I even eat them by the handful, (drained well, but right out of the can) or they can be tossed with a few spices and some olive oil and roasted for a fun and fabulous snack!
Garbanzo beans are the star in this hearty and comforting stew. Garbanzo Bean Stew with Spicy Rice, is a delicious dish that has a spicy kick, giving it real jazzy-pizazz! The vegan sausage (optional) adds classic texture and the Jazzy Sazón provides an authentic taste. This stew is wonderful served over Spicy Rice with a green salad on the side to make a truly satiating meal.
Vegan Garbanzo Stew with Spicy Rice
Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Jazzy Sazón (see recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup filtered or spring water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups peeled and cubed red or white potatoes
- 1 large sweet red or yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces vegan sausage, sliced (see note)
- 10 green queen olives with pimentos, diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
Put the onion, 1 teaspoon sazón, 1 teaspoon olive oil and ½ cup water in a large skillet or soup pot. Cover and let cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup vegetable broth, potatoes, red or yellow sweet pepper, green bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon sazón and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cover and let cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garbanzo beans, vegan sausage and olives. Add the diced tomatoes, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon sazón and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) and stir to combine. Cover and cook 35 to 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Season with salt, to taste. Serve over Spicy Rice (recipe below) with green salad on the side.
Note: If you prefer to not use the vegan sausage, substitute 1 additional cup cubed potatoes (add when the potatoes are added) and 1 additional cup garbanzo beans (add when the garbanzo beans are added)
Makes 2 ¾ tablespoons
This jazzylicious seasoning blend enhances soups, stews, casseroles, roasted or grilled vegetables and so much more!
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Put all of the ingredients into a small bowl Stir to combine. Store in a tightly covered container away from light.
Makes 6 servings
- 4 ½ cups filtered or spring water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon Jazzy Sazón
Put all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 40 to 45 minutes or until almost all of the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.