Recognized as a popular AND all-time French gastronomical classic, a moulinée is a thick soup of fresh or dried vegetables that are pushed through a food mill or blended in a high speed food processor after being boiled. It gives a chunky, almost liquid puree that will make your tummy and your taste buds very happy.
Perfect as a baby meal or for your most sophisticated dinners, moulinées make for a hearty healthy dish that is both super easy and quick to make. It is also one of my “I’m too lazy/tired/out of food” favorites as it is incredibly versatile and can be spiced up easily with one of your own twists (read: whatever you have left in our pantry).
Ideal for colder nights too, moulinées are a great yummy way to eat and enjoy hot vegetables (and their nutrients) by the fireplace after a cold rain.
Vegan French Moulinée with Crispy Onion Strings
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients (for the moulinée)
- 4 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 small celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup leek, finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups water
- seeds from 10 cardamom pods
- salt & pepper to taste
- a handful of parsley (optional)
Ingredients (for the crispy onion strings)
- 2 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin strings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Put the vegetables into a saucepan, drizzle over the olive oil, and cook for a few mins to soften. Add the cardamom. Stir well to combine, and cook gently for a few mins more, until the vegetables are nicely browned.
- Add the water and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 mins. Using a hand blender, pulse the mouliné until some is blended completely, leaving some larger vegetable chunks. Add salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, put the onion and drizzle over the olive oil in medium high heat, stirring constantly for 3-4 mins until there’s no more oil left.
- Toss the crispy onion strings on top of the moulinée, add the parsley (optional) and serve.