Hush Puppies are little balls of fried cornbread flecked with onions. They were originally made of a cornmeal batter that was used to coat fish. They really were given to the pups!
- 1 cup (157 g) cornmeal (fine ground if possible)
- 1½ tsp (5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy milk mixed with
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider vinegar (*use a different milk and omit vinegar)
- ¼ cup (40 g) minced onion
- ¼ cup (60 ml) aquafaba
- 1 tbsp (12 g) vegan sugar (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil (**use extra aquafaba)
- Spray oil (optional)
- Add the cornmeal, baking powder and salt to a medium-size mixing bowl and combine well.
- Mix in the nondairy milk, onion, aquafaba, sugar and olive oil.
- Scoop a tablespoon (15 g) of batter and roll into a ball. You can also just use a 1 tablespoon (15 g) scoop. Place in your air fryer basket.
- Once the basket is full, spray the tops with oil if using. Bake at 390°F (200°C) for 10 minutes. Repeat until all the hush puppies are cooked.
gluten-free, soy-free option*, no oil added option**
Recipe from Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer by Kathy Hester. Reprinted by permission of Page Street Publishing.