The most important part of any meal is of course it’s nutritional value. We want to make sure that we are choosing the best food possible to help fuel our bodies and promote good health. But we also want our food to taste good!
Many times people think that a vegan diet is devoid of flavor and all tastes bland, like plain tofu. That is the farthest thing from the truth! There are so many great ways to add flavor to vegan meals and one of my favorites is with sauces, spreads, dressings, or dips. These can really add a new dimension to your meal and there are so many variations and types to try!
I am a huge fan of making my own condiments because it is cheaper, healthier, and fairly easy. When you make your own food you are in control of the ingredients and can make it to your taste. I came up with this avocado tahini sauce as a topping for chili crusted chickpea tofu. It is full of good for you ingredients and adds a delicious creamy texture to crispy dishes. Spread it on your sandwiches, add it to your tacos, or dip raw veggies for a tasty snack!
Creamy Avocado Tahini Sauce
Makes about a 1/2 cup serving
- half of an avocado
- zest of one lime and juice from half of the lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper taste
- water to reach desired consistency
1. Combine everything except the water into a blender or food processor. Blend until everything is smooth.
2. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. More water makes it more of a dressing and less water makes it more of a spread.
3. Taste once the water is added and add salt or pepper as needed.