Who knew that N-U-T-S would make such a big difference in salads?! Ever since I added nuts in my salad a few years ago, I’ve become a complete N-U-T addict! The only nuts I had ever experimented with in a salad were pecans. I still remember that they were honey-roasted pecans, and they were just the thing that threw me into my N-U-T addiction; Honestly, I do not know a better, more wholesome addiction to have than nuts in my salad!!
Over the last few years, I’ve added almonds, walnuts, and occasionally cashew nuts. Each nut comes either plain or coated with various additives, like honey or spices, etc.. Each nut gives my salad it’s very own personality. I looked forward to savoring each new taste.
Just the other day, I was in my local farmer’s market and I took a walk down the N-U-T Aisle. I found that there were even MORE nuts than I had ever thought. My psyche was actually ready to notice other types of nuts and I could not believe the variety. There were pine nuts… pistachios… peanuts….brazil nuts… and even soy bean halves!
But getting back to pecans; they are my favorite by far and that’s purely a personal preference. But I did my research and found out some interesting facts about pecans and…
The Five Most Important Reasons to Eat a Handful of Pecans Everyday!
- Pecans rank among the top anti-oxidant foods (According to an article in the “Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry”, June 2004); They have a naturally occurring antioxidant, Vitamin E. Pecans, being a natural anti-oxidant help to protect against cell damage, and help to protect the nervous system against diseases such as Alzeihmier’s, Parkinson’s and ALS (or Lou Gherig’s Disease).
- Pecans are a high quality source of protein!
- They’re naturally sodium free.
- They are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (60%), which means that they increases HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol); The American Heart Association certifies pecans as a Heart Healthy Food!
- They are rich in vitamins ( Vitamin E; Vitamin B’s i.e.Thiamine, B6, Folate and Niacin) and minerals (i.e. Manganese, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Selenium, and Zinc).
I hope all of you will join me in my N-U-T Addiction. Just add a handful of pecans to your diet every day!!