It’s 2008. You want a healthy snack, but all you see are shelves full of “good-for-you” options that really aren’t so good. Sugar is probably one of the first ingredients. But at least you can pronounce that word, unlike some of the other ingredients. What do you do? Remember, this is 2008. The options are pretty limited.
Well, if you are like most of us, you make do. You snack on nuts and raisins and fresh fruit. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe not the most exciting thing. Or you could come up with your own healthy snack and share it with the rest of us. That what Robert Mograbi decided to do and, with the help of his son Matt and his wife Linda, we now have Matt’s Munchies to snack on.
Matt’s Munchies are super chewy fruit snacks – basically fruit leather – that come in a variety of tropical flavors.
The ingredients are pretty much spelled out in the names:
- Banana (organic banana puree)
- Mango (organic mango puree concentrate)
- Island Mango (organic mango puree concentrate, organic coconut flakes, organic coconut flavor concentrate)
- Mangao Acai (organic mango puree concentrate, organic acai pulp)
- Mango Ginger (organic mango puree concentrate, organic ginger powder, organic cinnamon powder)
- Apple-Licious (organic mango puree concentrate, organic apple flavor concentrate)
- Mango Apricot (organic mango puree concentrate, organic apricot puree)
- Banana-Coconut (organic banana puree, organic coconut flakes, organic coconut flavor concentrate)
- The snacks are organic, non-GMO verified and gluten-free.
I’m not a big fan of mango, so I have to admit I liked the Banana and Banana Coconut flavors best (but the different mango combinations were pretty tasty). I was bowled over by the Mango Ginger, which tasted just like gingersnap cookies. That was the flavor I almost didn’t try and I loved it! What a cool suprise!
The snacks themselves are pretty unique. Instead of one big roll of flattened fruit puree, you get little squares. You can decide how many you want to eat at once, a few or the entire package (which is 100 calories or less). They are sticky, so be warned. Your dentist may not approve! Still, they’re fun. You can pop a package into your purse or backpack, keep some in your desk at work, or sneak them into the movies. They have a long shelf life without preservatives or artificial ingredients.
If you’re looking for a healthy, low-calorie and tasty snack, give Matt’s Munchies a try. Just remember to brush your teeth!