Baking Soda: A Welcome Friend in the Kitchen!
The cleaning star in my kitchen is Baking Soda! Baking Soda is “eco-nomical” and eco-friendly and it is one of my favorite all-purpose cleansers. Kept in a shaker, it’s perfect for scrubbing a multitude of surfaces throughout the house. Who knew cleaning could be so easy?
Top Ten uses for Baking Soda
1. Use Baking Soda to scrub your kitchen sink. (Baking Soda also helps to deodorize the drain.)
2. Use Baking Soda to clean your bathtub. Wet the surface, sprinkle liberally, let set for a few minutes, scrub clean and rinse thoroughly.
3. Use Baking Soda to scrub and deodorize the cat litter pan. (Rinse thoroughly!)
4. Use Baking Soda in your refrigerator and freezer to absorb un-pleasant odors, Open a small box, tear off the top and place in the back of a lower shelf. Replace the box every few months.
5. Use Baking Soda as a cleanser for your pots and pans to remove stubborn stains and food particles. Works GREAT and really makes your cookware shine!
6. Use Baking Soda to clean your oven. Sprinkle Baking Soda liberally over the bottom of your oven, spray with water until it is thoroughly damp, let sit for a while, scoop out dirt with a sponge or clean rag, and thoroughly rinse away the residue. Repeat if needed.
7. Use Baking Soda in the bottom of your garbage pail to deodorize and absorb un-pleasant odors.
8. Use Baking Soda to remove stains on the kitchen counter top. Wet the area slightly, sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for a few minutes and scrub clean.
9. Use Baking Soda along with distilled white vinegar to help unclog a slow running drain. Pour in 1/2-cup baking soda and then pour in 1-cup vinegar. It will fizzle up. Let stand for about 30 minutes. Pour in about two cups very hot water. This will help to loosen dirt in your drain.
10. Use Baking Soda for baking!
Excerpt from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet © Laura Theodore (Jazzy Vegetarian, LLC 2015), reprinted by permission.